Thursday, April 17, 2008

Looking back - memories by Jerry Kavanagh

To Jerry Kavanagh, April 17th is more than just a day in the spring month. It's a day that signified a life change and a travel back home. Jerry is former Marine and my husband’s grandfather. The following is an email he sent to his family about what April 17th means to him.

--Sixty-three years ago this day, 4/17/45, I received my honorable discharge from the Marine Corps. A small group of us were 'fell out' on the parade ground at Marine Base San Diego. A Corps bus took us to downtown, where we would have to find a way home. My travel allowance was $131. The lady Marine group sang the Marine Hymn as we boarded.

After stepping off the bus, everyone scattered to find his own means. I stood there, and for the first time in my life realized what it feels like to be an orphan. I missed the Corps more than the fact I was going home...for good; I had been assigned to Embassy duty in D.C.

Flying home was impossible; the 'brass' had top priority. Seabag on my shoulder I went to the train station.'Standing room only and that was filled.’Then to the Greyhound station; 'be here at 11 P.M. for boarding.' This was the longest day of my life. All those Navy whites, and Marine (and probably) Army khaki tans; and me in my winter greens; lonely is what I was. I didn't drink so no bar for me. I saw 2 movies, ate, and arrived early for 'the trip from hell'.

Due to the many spring floods, we traveled north, the south avoiding all. Finally, near midnight, April 23, 6 days in the saddle on the outskirts of Baltimore, I asked the driver if I could depart at Washington Blvd and Monroe Streets to catch a local bus to take me past my house. I wanted to get home before midnight for my only sister's birthday.

Good guy, but said he couldn't get to my seabag, but it would rest safely at the station down town and I could retrieve it later. I woke my family just before midnight for 'best wishes, Kathleen.'

Jerry K --

No comments: